If you’re new to SilverSneakers, it seems almost too good to be true: gym access and fitness classes, plus a built-in community of support to ensure your golden years are filled with health and happiness. All at no cost to you!
SilverSneakers is the nation’s leading community fitness program designed specifically for older Americans. For over 25 years, SilverSneakers has been changing thousands of lives, helping people gain better control of their health and well-being through fitness.
Exercise is one of the most important aspects of health at any age, but particularly for older adults. Staying physically active and exercising regularly can produce long-term health benefits and even improve health for those who have health conditions.
SilverSneakers gives members free access to standard gym and fitness center amenities, as well as SilverSneakers classes taught by trained SilverSneakers instructors. The classes are designed for all fitness levels and SilverSneakers instructors are there to help guide members through the exercises, helping modify trainings to each member’s level and ability.
In addition, SilverSneakers members have the opportunity to meet new people and build a support network: 65 percent of members tell us they’ve forged new friendships thanks to SilverSneakers. Research shows people who get fit with their buddies are more likely to stick with their exercise routine than those who go it alone. Many SilverSneakers groups even plan social events outside of class, like potlucks or outings around town.
SilverSneakers is available at more than 14,000 participating fitness and wellness centers nationwide.
This is great for those who travel and are looking to work out when they are on the road. Many facilities offer instructor-led classes that vary in intensity. SilverSneakers class formats include:
- Classic: Move to the music through a variety of exercises designed to increase strength and range of motion.
- Circuit: Enjoy a full-body circuit workout with hand-held weights, resistance tubes and a SilverSneakers ball (chair used for support).
- CardioFit: Try a safe and heart-healthy aerobics class to energize your active lifestyle.
- Yoga: Move through a whole-body series of seated and standing yoga poses and breathing exercises (chair used for support).
- Splash: Jump in for a fun, shallow-water class that improves agility, flexibility and endurance. This is a great low-impact option.
- Stability: Get stronger and improve your balance through exercises that strengthen the ankle, knee and hip joints all in a fun and social setting.
SilverSneakers also offers BOOM, a revolutionary new fitness series designed for Baby Boomers and active older adults. BOOM is offers fast-paced, higher intensity group exercise classes:
- BOOM MOVE IT: a dance workout class that improves cardio endurance and burns calories.
- BOOM MUSCLE: a blend of cardio- and strength-based athletic exercises.
- BOOM MIND: a fusion of yoga and Pilates that focuses on stretching and core strength.
In addition, if you’re not comfortable in a gym setting, the program offers SilverSneakers FLEX, a community fitness network offering classes in convenient neighborhood locations, such as, churches, recreation centers and senior communities. SilverSneakers FLEX features more than 70 unique classes including tai chi, yoga, water aerobics, boot camp and walking groups.
More than 15 million people are eligible for the SilverSneakers benefit at no additional cost through their Medicare Advantage, Medicare Supplement and group retiree plans. To see if the SilverSneakers benefit is offered through your health plan and to find a class or participating location nearby, visit SilverSneakers.com.
Visit Silver Sneakers at Woodbury Boomers and Seniors Expo!
September 8th, 2018
HealthEast Sports Center (formerly Bielenberg Sports Center)
4125 Radio Dr., Woodbury, MN
10:00 am – 4:00 pm
Connecting Baby Boomers, Seniors, and Caregivers with Local Resources and Services to Live Vibrantly!
Presented by Durham Executive Group